Sunday, July 25, 2010

Note To Self

I watched a video yesterday that demonstrated several things one could do to help relieve sciatic pain. The woman said to lay on your side with your knees bent and a pillow between your knees. Then, she said to put ice on the area/s that hurt and to do this in 15 minute intervals with an hour between each interval.

Tonight I decided to try this. My leg actually was actually in a lot less pain today. I attribute that to the yerba mate tea I drank, which is good for the nervous system and releaving stress. Anyway, since I had been walking around a lot on this leg and since it felt weak, I thought it would be a good idea to ice my leg.

WRONG.

The ice was pressed against my back thigh for several minutes when suddenly, the ache that had lessened throughout the day intensified. My back leg muscle began throbbing with unbearable pain, and I could not stop myself from moaning out loud as if my whimpering would somehow make the pain stop. Immediately I took the ice off and threw it to the side. I called to my sister in the other room to bring my heating pad. I could not move my leg to get up because it was in so much pain.

The urgency with which my leg craved heat was stronger with each throb in my leg. The throbbing extended from the thigh/buttock area to a point below my knee. HEAT. NOW. A minute later, which seemed like forever to me, the heat kicked on full blast, and I pressed it to my leg, savoring the heat that surrounded my leg and seeped into the aching muscle.

At least now I know. My sciatic only feels better with heat, not cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment