Thursday, November 4, 2010

Nail Your Novel!


I just received Roz Morris's book Nail Your Novel in the mail today! I can't wait to read it as I work on my own novel idea this November. If you have a chance, check out Roz's blog, Dirty White Candy. I keep plugging her blog every now and then because it's so fun to read through. Dedicated to writing, every post is encouraging, motivating, and helpful. Thank you Roz! :)

In writing news, I keep switching from first person to third. I'm not sure which I like better. I guess it depends on my mood. Today I like third person better. I'm thinking about using it from now on because then I can switch to other characters' perspectives.

All you writers out there, which POV do you prefer? Which works best for you?

5 comments:

  1. I prefer 1st. Always have. I prefer to read books in 1st, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! I'm currently writing in 3rd person present tense, as the sense of immediacy suits the kind of story I'm telling. First person seemed wrong as I needed a certain distance. But each novel has its own demands - my last one was first person and could never have been anything else.
    Thank you so much for your kind words and I hope you enjoy my book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily, Just came across your blog (via James Deagle's) and I first want to say, good for you re not worrying about what you're doing post-grad. Follow your passions and pay the bills. That's pretty much it. Re POV, I've written two novels (one published and currently excerpted on my blog). Both times I've used "third person limited omniscient" (though I didn't even know it had a name with the first novel!). This means third person but completely seen through the protagonist's POV. The protagonist is present for all scenes and hears all dialogue, even if s/he is not participating directly. In both novels, I began with the protagonist in a bad place psychologically, and my goal was to get them through it. A fascinating journey, and the only down side is that when I came to the end, I missed those characters terribly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Roz, I am enjoying the book so far!
    @Katie, Thanks for stopping by. Third person is what I am leaning towards right now. I have these three main characters, and I'd like to know each of their perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It depends on the piece and on what you're trying to achieve with it. As a literary cubist, you're open to using multiple perspectives.

    ReplyDelete