Thursday, September 8, 2011

I Am Good Enough


I am participating in an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. Use this as an opportunity to reflect on your now, and to create direction for your future.

“If you can’t change your fate, change your attitude.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

At any given point in time, you’re only one thought away from changing your thinking. What thought can you change today?

I have so many thoughts that I am working on changing. It is tough sometimes to un-root all the bad habits, the negative thoughts that underlie my life and that I’m not always even aware of because I’ve had them for so long!

But today, in this moment, what would I change?

Immediately it comes to mind, the thought that I am not good enough. Perhaps “hell” is always comparing myself to people who seem to do life so much better than I am.

These past few weeks, I have been learning to accept myself the way I am, right now, in each and every moment. I am accepting my flaws, loving them, especially for what they keep teaching me. Because no one is perfect, and while I have never wished or tried to be “perfect,” I am seeing that perfect is boring. Sure, I’m not so great at small talk, and I’ve had plenty of awkward conversations and more embarrassing moments than I care to remember. But that is a part of who I am.

I have always been shy ever since I was a little girl, a trait I have not been able to shake no matter how hard I have tried. So finally, I’m accepting it. Yes, I am shy. But I am going to talk to people anyway. And it may feel like I fail at it, like it could have gone way smoother, but I am going to keep doing it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment