Saturday, October 2, 2010

Can We Stop Yet?

Yesterday, I got a 7:30 a.m. call to sub for high school PE at my brother and sister's school. (My brother is a freshman and my sister is a junior) Both of them have opted out of PE this year so I didn't have either of them in class.

At first, when I got the call, I was hesitant. PE?! Can I do that? But I hadn't had an assignment all week, so I said I'd do it.

Basically, all I had to do was take everyone outside and have them walk laps around the track. It was a nice day, sunny with a cool fall breeze. The only annoying thing was the complainers: It's cold. Can we stop now? C'mon I've walked five laps! Occasionally, I'd have to approach the kids sitting along the fence surrounding the track and tell them to get moving. Ugh, I don't like telling people what to do, which is going to have to change if I'm going to keep subbing. I don't mind anymore with elementary school kids, but I haven't had any experience with high schoolers. I'm back at that beginning stage again where I have yet to grow into the teacherly role.

One of my brother's cross country teammates was in one of my classes. He told my brother after practice, "I thought she would be meaner."

I'm not sure what he meant by that. [Did he think I looked mean before?? Who knows...]

Anyways, are there any substitute teachers out there, reading this, who have any experiences to share? P.E. related or otherwise...

No comments:

Post a Comment